Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 333: Time Travelling

Thorne bbm'd me bright and early this am asking for my assistance with a HD run. Of course I said yes. Two hours later I was back home looking at the boxes from yesterday's cleanfest filled with "STUFF" that I had to go through. As overwhelming as it all looked I knew that I couldn't escape the inevitable. So I buckled down and started sorting through the madness one letter and photo at a time.

I found letters from cousins who missed me terribly after I left Kenya for the States. In hindsight, I realized how my move must have affected them. We were all so very close as kids. I found letters from high school crushes professing their undying like and love for me, letters and cards from ex-boyfriends- some that made me laugh and others that brought tears to my eyes. I even found a letter from my estranged father. I'm not sure why I was so damn emotional. Maybe it had to do with all the memories that came flooding back, all the memories of an old and forgotten life. Two individuals in particular evoked the most emotion out of me: my high school boo and my Kenyan boo. Two guys that made the cut..meaning I kept their correspondence and threw everyone else's out. I was so moved that I sent them both an email sharing my finds. Ironically, we'd recently reconnected on facebook and chatted frequently. I think they were just as moved as I was.

A couple of hours later the boxes were empty and my emotions were cleared. The journey down memory lane had reminded me of the person I was way back when. It reminded me that others though I was pretty special. Sometimes we forget and it takes moments like this to realize and appreciate the old and new self. I'm glad that I was able to finally let go of most of the stuff I'd been holding on to. I'd tried on several occasions but could never make it happen and now that I'd finally conquered that little fear...I felt lighter.

Moral of my little story: letting go is a part of life. Change is constant. Embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment