I anticipate weekends like pilots anticipate safely landing from a lengthy and turbulent flight; I'm overjoyed that I made it through a grueling week and thankful for the much needed downtime.
The desire to quench my thirst with potent intoxicants escaped me last Friday night. Instead, Canada Dry Ginger Ale was my saving grace accompanied by the presence of one of my favorite homies, CC. Her drink of choice was Chamomile tea. Yeah, we got real turnt up. lol. Sometimes the mind and body needs to dry out and be still, especially when the rest of the weekend promises to be the complete opposite.
Saturday got interesting around 3pm when Charlie (brother from another mother aka our community husband) came over with a single lime for his cocktail. That's right, my boy brought his own pre-cut lime in a ziploc bag. Three stiff vodka crans later, Charlie was sprawled out on my bed while CC, Lisa-Li and I got dressed for a Celebrity Weekend of Champions Fight Night event we were attending that evening. We were drawn in by two things: celebrity and champions. However, we were immediately drawn out when we arrived way too early (anxious Nellie's) and had to sit through three bouts to get to the main fight/grudge match which didn't even go past the first round before Alexander "The Great" Johnson knocked the wind out of Henry "Sugar Poo" Buchanan. Ummm, any man with the nickname "Sugar Poo" should be knocked out. We ended up at the Marriott Marquis for dinner, which was a total bust largely due to the food tasting like it was prepared out of spite. Never again. The minute we got back to my place, a short glass of CC's exceptionally strong sangria found its way into my hand and helped me deal with the night's series of unfortunate events.
![]() |
| Twist Brunch Dessert. CC in the background. |
After shutting down Twist, we turned to Current Boutique, a high-end consignment shop on 14th, for some retail therapy. I implore fellow fashionistas to drop by if you're ever in the area - I've found some amazing vintage dresses and shoes.
The next and final unexpected turn brought us to Masa 14 rooftop for Sunday Aftermath Specials....because we obviously didn't have enough at Twist. It would've been an injustice not to take advantage of $4 cocktails and $4 - $6 small plates. Shout out to resident bartender Dave LaRocca for the awesome service. Should you ever find yourself at Masa 14 rooftop...ask for Dave and request a shot of "Eggs on Fire." You'll thank me later. I also feel compelled to shout out DJ Yez, the pretty and skilled resident rooftop dj. All in all, it was a pretty cool weekend.
EJW

No comments:
Post a Comment