![]() |
| Summer 2013 |
It's been a long green mile since I burned a hole in my blue suede dancing shoes. Or in this particular case my favorite taupe wedge heels. Dancing has always been a magical and transforming experience for me - so much so that I once videotaped myself dancing to 'Howling For You' by The Black Keys (one of my favorite bands) and posted it on my YouTube channel. *Sigh. Over seven thousand views later and I'm still twirling around freely and aimlessly for my own satisfaction. Feel free to watch Dancing Ellen to get a good chuckle at my expense. You'll thank me later. Or not.
With all that said, it burns my brown biscuits that it has been damn near impossible to find a party scene between the current hippity-hop crowd and the step-in-the-name of love crowd. No disrespect to either but I need a happy medium of sorts. Looking back, my generation was a completely different era (granted it was in NY and I worked in the music industry and that in itself was a whole other realm) that my soul still yearns for from time to time. Wow, I am officially old. I think I need a cocktail to process.
But alas! Hope galloped my way this past Friday when I attended the annual Howard Homecoming party at Tony & Joe's with my crew (Charlie, CC, Lisa-Li, Bean and The Mack). I was somewhat reluctant to go because I'd attended last year and could have done without it, but to my pleasant surprise I had a superb time. I literally danced my life away (thanks to David Garcia - whom by the way gave me a run for my money on the dance floor) and got the chance to relive those yearned for years. Oh what fun! I even spilled red wine on my taupe wedge heels and white off the shoulder top and didn't give two hoots. That's what a great party is supposed to do; make you feel like there isn't a care in the world.
I'm happy to report that a sliver of my faith was reinstated as a result of Friday's dancing escapades and I can now rest a little easier. One less thing to worry about. For now.
EJW

No comments:
Post a Comment